“The interpretation of dreams is the royal road to a knowledge of the unconscious activities of the mind.”― Sigmund Freud, The Interpretation of Dreams (1900), from The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud, translated by James Strachey.
“At any rate the interpretation of dreams is the via regia to a knowledge of the unconscious in the psychic life.”Alternate translation by Abraham Arden Brill, p. 483. Freud did use the Latin phrase via regia in the original as opposed to translating it into the German of the surrounding text.
"Royal road" or via regia is an allusion to a statement attributed to Euclid.
- The Interpretation of Dreams (A. A. Brill, trans., 1913.)
- E-text version of the 3rd edition of The Interpretation of Dreams (English)
- Google Book Search digitized reproduction of the 3rd edition of The Interpretation of Dreams trans. A. A. Brill
- The original text in German
- The Interpretation of Dreams LibriVox Free Audio